Optimum Patient Care offers a FREE respiratory quality improvement (QI) programme for patients with asthma and COPD, designed to equip primary care practitioners with the necessary tools and data to drive better clinical outcomes.
OPC provide annual tailored child asthma, adult asthma and COPD reports. Outcome measures are compared with that of the overall OPC Quality Improvement Database.
Individual patient reports support clinicians with face-to-face patient consultations. They help identify high-risk patients and other specific patient groups for review and intervention to optimise their care.
Our Quality Improvement Programme encourages and enables GPs to:
We appreciate the overload associated with daily clinical practice – the pressures of consulting, demands of administration and accreditation. OPC is here to help by adding clarity to your clinical data – making it easier for you to interpret and act upon, by showing you the gaps in your clinical data, where you could improve, which patients you need to prioritise and what you need to reflect on.
We present your clinical data clearly and succinctly based on clinical parameters that you set, in the context of your practice, guidelines and the needs of your patients along with a comparison to national performance with the Optimum Patient Care Research Database (OPCRD). Data can be customised by a range of variables including patient demographics, diagnoses, prescribing patterns, pathology results and risk-factor levels.
We allow you to easily and quickly identify patients for recall or questionnaire level review who may be undertreated, in need of review or potentially at risk. In the UK, this methodology has been shown to lead to a 20% reduction in exacerbations for asthma patients compared to control GP practices (not partaking in the programme).
Learn with input from world leading experts during local educational workshops. OPC partner with CCGs and health boards to conduct a series of education workshops for healthcare professionals in primary care.
For your practice:
- We provide an epidemiological summary of your clinic statistics for free.
- The report identifies non-adherence to COPD or asthma management plans to clinicians.
- Discussion with an OPC epidemiologist enables the clinic to create a clinic-specific plan to reduce unscheduled care and de-escalate treatment.
- Audits that can be used for annual appraisals and re-validation.
- Aids asthma and COPD consultation, improving quality and speed of information delivery in consultation/review.
- Aids treatment pathway decision making.
- Education directly reflecting your own patients.
- Diagnosing potentially undiagnosed patients, for early intervention.
- Improving patient involvement in care through patient questionnaires.
- Self-management plans provide patients with a clear understanding of disease control to help monitor symptoms and better manage their condition and treatment.
- Health benefits for patients e.g. avoidance of side effects through discontinuation of inappropriate treatments.
- Opportunities for patients to participate in research.
To produce the reports bespoke data analysis is conducted, in accordance with national guidelines and world renowned expert advisors. Anonymised data is gathered from practice clinical systems and combined with data gathered from asthma and COPD questionnaires returned by patients. All data collected for review is pseudonymised at the practice, so no patient identifiable information leaves the practice in accordance with NHS Information Governance and Data Protection laws. For more information on how OPC complies to GDPR and our full data processing policy please visit our Data Security pages.