The Senior Database Administrator (DBA) will work with Operations, Analytics and Technical teams to develop an understanding of data and information needs, identify solutions and improve the quality of service while providing support through the logical and physical design of databases and database infrastructure. The Senior DBA will be responsible for maintaining the integrity and performance of the company databases and guarantee the data is stored securely and efficiently. The Senior DBA will also provide strategic guidance and implementation of the OPC data warehouse, OPC Research Database and the corresponding data feeds.
- Install, design and maintain database system software and implement database security.
- Monitor and analyse database performance and ensure effective and efficient utilisation of database systems/processes.
- Maintain database dictionaries and support tools; develop and maintain accurate system documentation.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of strategic, architectural and tactical plans for the database and data warehouse environments; be conversant with, and cognisant of, the future direction of systems, how that direction impacts the company and how future and current database systems can be exploited for the company’s benefit.
- Provide technical leadership on database systems and solutions. Provide individual mentoring and training on databases and tools. Recommend, test, and evaluate new technologies, software tools, and required skill sets; recommend and implement improvements.
- Implement a Business Continuity solution for the database environment, including the installation and configuration of database software and replication processes.
- Maintain database infrastructure standards.
- Drive process improvements, taking data feeds from multiple sources, and managing the ETL process into the data warehouses.
- Ensure that all data contained is accurate, up-to-date, and complete.
- Ensure the clients and research and operational teams are provided with the data in a timely manner.
- Monitor and analyse database performance and utilisation to identify and resolve any potential performance issues, capacity planning, and efficiency improvements.
- Keep up-to-date with current techniques and develop a technical strategy for the company.
- Provide metrics to the senior managers about the database and database team’s performance.
- Support team members on data issues and problem resolution.
- Provide line management to a small team of database administrators.
- Work with the Medical Informatics PM, Global and Country Data Analytics Managers to identify and implement new solutions against business requirements and provide query support/ best practice knowledge.
- Educated to a higher degree level (PhD or Masters) or have equivalent relevant experience.
- Exceptional technical ability using SQL Server and multiple Relational Database Management Systems as well as a deep understanding of data warehouse models (both Inmon and Kimball).
- At least 5 years of database administration experience with large datasets (100’s of millions of rows) and a demonstrable ability to efficiently organize and manipulate data
- Able to work within a fast-paced environment with quickly changing priorities.
- Analytical mind and excellent attention to detail.
- Have the ability to translate project needs into effective database solutions.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in English and team working capability.
- Desirable experience in using either SSIS, SSRS or SSAS.
- Experience in MySQL, R, NHS UK Read Codes (v2 and v3), Snomed CT, WHO medical coding and MedDRA drug dictionaries and a background in clinical research would be an advantage.
Starting salary is dependent on qualifications and experience within the range of £40,000 – £45,000.
Please submit a copy of your CV with a covering letter summarising your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.